The Best Damn Key Lime Pie on the Planet
Why is this the Best Damn Key Lime Pie on the Planet? It’s because the filling has a perfect balance between sour and sweet, AND the egg yolks are whipped for a long time creating a lighter filling. The whip cream rounds out the tart filling. Plus the textures of the crust (crunchy), filling (smooth), and whip topping (creamy) compliment each other beautifully. | www.lakesidetable.com
- Prep Time: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 2 cups gluten free graham crackers
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime zest, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup key lime juice, fresh
- 1 can (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- food processor or zip lock and mallet (to crush graham crackers)
- pie pan
- measuring cups and spoons
- hand held juicer
- mixing bowl
- stand mixer (whisk attachment) or electric beaters
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Place all graham crackers in food processor* and pulse until all crackers are fine crumbs
- In the mixing bowl, place graham cracker crumbs, butter, lime zest, sugar, and salt. Combine thoroughly.
- Pour into pie pan and using your fingers press mixture evenly into the pan and up the sides.
- Bake for 8 minutes and cool.
- Beat egg yolks and lime zest in the stand mixer or with an electric beater on medium high speed until they have increased in volume and turned pale yellow, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly add in the condensed milk. Beat for another 5 minutes on medium speed.
- Lower speed and carefully add the fresh squeezed key lime juice.
- Pour into cooled crust and bake for 12-15 minutes until the middle doesn’t giggle (set).
- Cool completely and refrigerate.
- With the whisk attachment, beat heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until fairly stiff.
Putting It All Together
- Cut pie into wedges. If it seems too soft, freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Put a big dollop of whip cream on each piece.
- Garnish with lime zest over whip cream.
*Instead of a food processor to create the graham crumbs, you can use a large zip lock bag and a mallet or rolling pin.