Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is my Brianna’s favorite soup. She always asks for it for her birthday! Most soups always get better the next day, but this soup is SUPERB with in an hour! | www.lakesidetable.com
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Latin American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kasher salt
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 ripe tomato, diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- lime wedges, for garnish
- sour cream, for garnish
- white queso, crumbled (optional)
- 12 tortilla chips, for garnish (optional)
- soup pot
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chipotle, chili powder, and salt. Stir until the onion softens about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Add the corn, stir, and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the fresh tomato, can of diced tomatoes, chicken, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Garnish with more fresh cilantro, a teaspoon of sour cream, lime wedge, queso, and tortillas (if using).