Mini Roast Beef Popover Sandwiches
Popover recipe – these rolls only have 10g of carbs each and are great by themselves or as a sandwich. Stuff them with meat or eggs and cheese. So good! | www.lakesidetable.com
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 24 muffins
- Category: appetizer, side dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American, English
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 10 ounces flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Non stick spray
- Popover tin or medium muffin tin
- Combine eggs, milk, salt, and butter. Whisk gently until eggs are completely incorporated.
- Add flour and mix until just combined. It is fine if there are a few lumps.
- Cover the bowl with a towel and let batter rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes, up to an hour is preferable.* This allows the gluten in the batter to strengthen and become elastic.
- While batter is resting, preheat oven to 450 degrees and place a muffin tin in oven.
- After the batter has rested, spray the hot muffin tins with the non stick spray* and fill the tins 1/2 full with batter.
- Put the batter filled muffin tin in the oven.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees for 20 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and place popover on cooling rack.
*I’ve tried butter (it burns) and I’ve tried olive oil and vegetable oil (they smoke). Pam non stick spray works best.
Do not open the door while they’re baking! I mean it. They’ll fall. You’ll cry. It’ll just be so sad. Enjoy with butter, jam or as bread for mini popover sandwiches. As an alternative experiment by adding 1/4 cup powdered parmesan cheese or 2 tablespoons of your favorite dried herb mix like Penzey’s Fox Point.
- Serving Size: 1 popover
- Calories: 51
- Sugar: .3g
- Fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Protein: 2.9g