Yogi Kale Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
The trick to preparing raw kale is to massage the leaves thoroughly. This will break down the fiber giving you soft delicious greens. Also, if you make this a couple hours ahead of time the acid in the vinaigrette only enhances the flavor while making the kale more supple. | www.lakesidetable.com
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Salad
- 1 big bunch of kale, fibrous spine removed and torn/cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup toasted pecans, chopped
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey or agave
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce*
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- knife and cutting board
- measuring cups and spoons
- salad bowl and whisk
Make the Dressing
- In the salad bowl, combine all the ingredients except the olive oil. Whisk vigorously until incorporated.
- Slowly drizzle the oil in, whisking constantly. This will create an emulsion and bring it all together.
Putting it all together
- Put all the kale in the salad bowl on top of the salad dressing. Using your hands, massage the dressing into the kale. Really squeeze the kale. This will soften it up and make it easier to chew and digest.
- Add all the other salad ingredients in to the bowl and lightly toss.
* If you are gluten sensitive, make sure you are using a gluten free brand of soy sauce.