LOW CARB GLUTEN FREE ASPARAGUS SOUP RECIPE
This low carb soup is also gluten free and excellent served hot or chilled. Wonderful for cool spring nights or hot summer days. You can’t go wrong with this one. | www.lakesidetable.com
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 16 cups
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 16 oz asparagus, woody ends removed and spears flattened
- 32 oz woody asparagus ends
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 leeks, washed, whites only, chopped
- 3 tablespoons potato starch
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh herb mix, (suggestion: parsley, oregano, basil, sage, thyme)
- 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 pound small shrimp sautéed
- 4 oz Greek yoghurt
- 1 small cucumber peeled and diced
- large soup pot
- medium skillet
- blender or hand immersion blender
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and chopping block
- vegetable peeler
- wooden spoon
- Heat medium skillet over medium heat. Sauté woody asparagus ends, onions, celery and 2 of the leeks until tender in the melted butter. Add dried Italian seasoning, garlic, salt and curry. Let heat open the herbs. Stir constantly to keep the garlic and herbs from burning.
- When the vegetables are soft, add 1/2 of the chicken stock and simmer for 45 minutes. Then strain the liquid and discard all the solid matter.
- Mix 3 tablespoons potato starch with 1 cup of reserved (cold or room temperature) chicken stock. Pour into soup and stir.
- Add the asparagus and remaining leek to the soup. Reduce heat to low and let them all get acquainted while simmering for another 45 minutes.
- Add cream and add salt and pepper to taste.
- If using a standing blender… turn the heat OFF and let the soup cool completely. (Don’t be an idiot sandwich like I was! You don’t want to be cleaning soup off your ceiling.) If using a hand immersion blender, simply turn the heat off and blend away.
- The soup should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Garnish with fresh herbs, shrimp, cucumber and yoghurt.