Everybody on the planet should know about Pineapple Angel Food Cake. I’m almost embarrassed to post this because it’s so ridiculously easy. I mean come on, this recipe only calls for 2 ingredients and you can make it in 45 minutes!
Pineapple Angel Food Cake Recipe
Anyone who likes to make anything with minimal ingredients will flip over this. You probably already know about this 2 ingredient wonder, but if you don’t, here it is.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together a box of angel food cake mix and 1 (20 ounce) can of crushed pineapple juice and all.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 13 pan.
- Bake for approximately 35 minutes. If making cupcakes bake approximately 25 min and in a bundt pan about 40 minutes.
- Cool completely and top with cool whip (optional).
Weight Watchers Pineapple Angel Food Cake 5 point recipe
My friends who do Weight Watchers told me that the above recipe is a little more than 5 points because of the high sugar content of the pineapple juice. So, if you want to enjoy this fluffy bit of heaven with the lowest points possible, try this.
- Drain a 20 ounce can of crushed pineapple. Discard the juice.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix and pineapple. Then stir in 1 cup of water.
- Pour batter into a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Cool completely and enjoy!
Super simple and just as tasty! I found this recipe to be a little less sweet and the pineapple flavor was a little less, but it was still incredibly light and so satisfying.
What Pan is best for this Angel Food Cake with Crushed Pineapple?
- 9×13 casserole dish – If I’m having the whole family over, I’ll make a double batch (there’s 11 of us!) in two 9×13 dishes.
- Bundt pan or tube pan
- Muffin tin – Cupcakes are the perfect size to have on hand when I need just a little something sweet. They’re good to have around too if you want something to “grab & go!”
How to Prepare the Cake Pan
9×13 casserole dish – Don’t spay the pan with a non stick spray! Pour the batter into a nice clean dry pan. That’s it! Having a dry pan helps the angel food creep up the sides and make a light fluffy cake.
Bundt pan – Spray with non stick spray or butter! When cooking with any pan with ridges it’s usually a safe bet to grease the bottom for a little extra insurance your cake with come out beautifully.
How to Know when your cake is done
If you have a handy dandy instant read thermometer, it will read 210F when your cake is done. If not, look for the top to turn a beautiful golden brown. The top won’t be sticky to the touch either. It should feel very dry.
The best way to cool your angel food cake
Typically, the best way to cool an angel food cake is by suspending it upside down. This stabilizes the air pockets and prevents it from collapsing.
Honestly though, when I make angel food cake with pineapple, I don’t do this. The crushed pineapple and juice give it a different texture and super moist. It doesn’t bother me a bit to see this cake settle a little.
How to store and freeze your Pineapple Angel Food Cake
Simply cover the cake with plastic wrap and it will keep for 2-3 days on the counter. Or pop it in the refrigerator and it will keep for up to a week. It also freezes beautifully!
You can freeze it in individual portions or whole! Wrap it in wax paper (keeps it from sticking to the plastic wrap), then cover in plastic wrap and finally cover with a layer of tin foil.
It will last in the freezer for months like this. Remember to label it!
If I know I’m going to eat it in a week or two, I’ll forgo the wax paper. Just sayin!
Favorite ways to serve Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- Smothered in cool whip!
- Fresh berries dolloped on top
- With raspberry sauce, chocolate sauce, and/or vanilla sauce!
- Served with ice cream: vanilla, coconut or lemon sorbet.
- Top with shredded coconut
- All of the ABOVE!!!
Thank You, Joyce!
I am posting this with a BIG thanks going out to Joyce, my husband’s cousin. She introduced this to us a few years ago at Thanksgiving. It’s our son’s favorite (our girls love it too!) but Carver can sit down and eat two of these without blinking. In fact, I think he has.
Pineapple Angel Food Cake
- 1 box angel food cake mix
- 1 can crushed pineapple 20 oz
- cool whip
- In the mixing bowl, combine crushed pineapple (juice and all) and box of angel food cake.
- Pour into 9 x 13 dish.
- Put into a 350ºF pre heated oven and bake for 35 minutes.
- Let cool and top with cool whip.