If you’re going to throw anything out there as “better than sex,” then it should really live up to that claim. This Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake does.
The cake is light and airy, full of all the warm pumpkin pie spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. It’s topped with a thick layer of cream cheese whipped topping and speckled with bits of chocolate covered toffee.
And just for the record, if I’m comparing ANYTHING to sex there has be chocolate involved. So instead of a pouring a can of sweetened condensed milk over the cake, we’re using a layer of silky chocolate ganache.
There’s not much my husband and I disagree on, but we definitely part ways when it comes to icing. He’s a just-a-skiff-of-icing-will-do kinda guy. I’m a I-eat-cake-just-for-the-icing kinda girl.
With that said, Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake is more in my camp than his. Good news is: he scrapes his icing off and gives it to me. Definitely a Win/Win.
Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake Recipe (Easy)
There’s a reason Betty Crocker is a multi million dollar business. Their box cake is damn good as well as convenient.
I really like a lot of pumpkin pie spices in my cake, so I like to use a spice cake box mix then I add extra cinnamon and nutmeg.
A yellow cake mix works well too! The extra cinnamon and nutmeg are optional, but highly recommended.
If you want a homemade recipe, keep scrolling down for that link. 👇🏼 But if you want to keep your jammies on and snuggle up to something easy but just as satisfying, try this on for size:
Cheap Date Recipe:
- In a large bowl mix together: 1 box spice cake mix, 1 can pumpkin puree, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
- Bake in a 350F preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until set.
- Whip 8 ounces cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Mix in 1 (12 ounce) container of cool whip, 1 cup powdered sugar, and 1 tablespoon vanilla extract. Whip until completely combined and smooth. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt 8 ounces chopped baking chocolate with 8 ounces of heavy whip cream on high in 10 second increments. Stir every 10 seconds until smooth.
- When the cake is done, let it cool for 10 minutes. Then poke holes all over the top of the cake. Spread the chocolate over the entire surface. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- When the cake is chilled, spread the cream cheese frosting over the chocolate.
- Top with toasted pecans and chocolate covered toffee bits (like a crushed Health bar.)
A slice of this + a cold glass of milk OR a hot toddy (hot water, Irish whisky, lemon and honey), + your sweetheart + binge on Netflix’s Emily In Paris = ❤️ Staycation Date Night!
I grew up on box cakes. I love box cake mixes! But every now and then, I like to make a homemade cake from scratch.
In culinary school, we spent 12 weeks dedicated to the Pastry Arts. I was shocked to learn how easy it is to make a cake from scratch.
Even though it has a few more steps than using a box, it’s not difficult. Plus it’s very rewarding!
Here’s the recipe link for the Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake Homemade Scratch Recipe. Think of it more as a big night out kinda date. 😉
Better Than Sex Pumpkin Cake
BETTER THAN SEX PUMPKIN CAKE is pumpkin cake with a chocolate ganache layer, topped with cream cheese cool whip, & bits of chocolate covered toffee. 🎃 | www.lakesidetable.com
- 1 box spice cake (or yellow cake mix)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg optional
- 1 can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 4 ounces semi sweet baking chocolate chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup powder sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 8 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 chocolate covered toffee bar (such as Heath or Skor), chopped
- 1/3 cup toasted pecans chopped (optional)
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a large mixing bowl, stir cinnamon and nutmeg into cake mix. Add pumpkin puree and mix until smooth.
Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish and bake until done, 23 – 28 minutes. An inserted toothpick should come out clean.
When cake is done, let it cool. Then poke holes over the entire surface.
In a microwave safe bowl, mix together the chopped chocolate and heavy cream. Microwave on high for 20 seconds and stir. Then microwave on high in 10 second intervals, stirring each time, until chocolate has melted and is completely smooth.
Beat cream cheese with paddle attachment or with electric beaters until smooth. Beat in powdered sugar and vanilla. Add Cool Whip and blend until completely combined.
Pour 3/4 chocolate ganache over cake and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Reserve some chocolate ganache for final topping.
when cake is cooled, spread cream cheese whip topping over chocolate.
Sprinkle chocolate covered toffee bits and toasted pecans (optional) over whip topping and drizzle with remaining chocolate ganache.