Click here for the Best Key Lime Pie on the planet recipe
Things to Do in the Best Biggest Small Town of All
St. Louis is known for lots of things: the Cardinals, Budweiser, “Where do you go to high school?”, etc. As strange as it sounds, it’s the biggest small town I know. Aside from Forest Park, Shaw’s Garden (Missouri Botanical Garden)*, the City Museum, the new Cathedral (Cathedral Basilica) and the St. Louis Art Museum, this town has incredible restaurants.
Jerry and I head over to St. Louis as much as we can and when we do, Frazer’s Restaurant & Lounge is a certain stop. On Pestalozzi St. just a stone’s throw from Anheuser-Busch brewery, it’s right off the Arsenal exit of Hwy. 55. It’s funky and eclectic. Go there. Order anything. Frazer’s does not disappoint.
What to Order at Frazer’s
Our absolute favorite trio is the tomato cheddar soup, Frazer’s pecan crusted salmon over mustard sauce with a side of red beans and rice. End your lunch with the key lime pie. It has a beautiful balance of zesty tartness, mellow whip cream, and a buttery crunchy gram cracker crust. Oh man! I’m getting in the car now!
Frazer’s has a great staff too. Usually Dave takes care of us when we come in. Since we’ve been going there, we’ve never had a less than stellar meal and we’ve always been taken care of like family.
I asked if I could have their recipe for their tomato cheddar soup and they said “Yes!” I could hardly believe it. So cool. Here it is my post with their Tomato Cheddar Soup Recipe. You’ll love it. Spoiler alert… it’s base is made from asparagus.
In the meantime if you can’t get over to Frazer’s, here’s my Pecan Crusted Salmon over Mustard Sauce that was inspired by theirs. I’ve served this to friends who do not like fish. Of course getting a really fresh fish is crucial. Hint… if it smells fishy, don’t get it!!! It might be okay for your cat, or a rabid raccoon, but not you. A good piece of fish smells fresh like the ocean, or like nothing at all.
In the meantime, here’s my recipe for the Best Key Lime Pie on the planet! Not joking. I make it gluten free by using Nairn’s gluten free graham crackers but it works well with any graham cracker if your not gluten sensitive. If you give it a shot let me know what you think. And please tag me @lakesidetable if you post it on FB or Instagram. I’d LOVE to see it! ?❤❤
The Best Damn Key Lime Pie on the Planet
- 2 cups gluten free graham crackers
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoon lime zest plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup key lime juice fresh
- 1 can 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- food processor or zip lock and mallet to crush graham crackers
- pie pan
- measuring cups and spoons
- hand held juicer
- mixing bowl
- stand mixer whisk attachment or electric beaters
- Preheat oven to 350º
- Place all graham crackers in food processor* and pulse until all crackers are fine crumbs
- In the mixing bowl, place graham cracker crumbs, butter, lime zest, sugar, and salt. Combine thoroughly.
- Pour into pie pan and using your fingers press mixture evenly into the pan and up the sides.
- Bake for 8 minutes and cool.
- Beat egg yolks and lime zest in the stand mixer or with an electric beater on medium high speed until they have increased in volume and turned pale yellow, about 10 minutes.
- Slowly add in the condensed milk. Beat for another 5 minutes on medium speed.
- Lower speed and carefully add the fresh squeezed key lime juice.
- Pour into cooled crust and bake for 12-15 minutes until the middle doesn't giggle (set).
- Cool completely and refrigerate.
- With the whisk attachment, beat heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla on medium speed until fairly stiff.
Putting It All Together
- Cut pie into wedges. If it seems too soft, freeze for 15-20 minutes.
- Put a big dollop of whip cream on each piece.
- Garnish with lime zest over whip cream.
*Instead of a food processor to create the graham crumbs, you can use a large zip lock bag and a mallet or rolling pin.