Why would you want to use this KFC Gravy recipe when you can just run down the street to your local fast food joint and pick some up? Several reasons…
Why use a copycat KFC Gravy Recipe?
- You know exactly what’s in it! No artificial preservatives or weirdness.
- It’s fast and easy!
- You can tweak it or not.
- The spice blend is a great general seasoning to have on hand for meat and vegetables.
- It’s FUN! 😋
How to make KFC Copycat Gravy
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 – 2 tsp spice mix
- 2 Tbs butter, unsalted
- 2 Tbs flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbs rice wine vinegar (white wine vinegar or lemon juice works well too)
- Measure out all the herbs and spices and stir them together in a small bowl.
- Bloom spices: Add 1 teaspoon of the spice mix to a saucepan and heat for 1 – 2 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Then add the butter to the spices and let it melt.
- While the butter is melting, combine the chicken and beef broth in a microwave safe bowl. Heat on high in the microwave until very hot (about 3 minutes).
- After the butter has melted and the foam has subsided, make a roux by adding the flour to the melted butter. Stir briefly and cook for 2 minutes. This gets rid of the pasty flavor of the flour.
- Whisk the hot broths into the flour mixture (roux) and continue to whisk until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens.
- Then immediately lower the heat and simmer the sauce in the saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the rice wine vinegar and simmer for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Taste and add more spice mix or salt if necessary.
Step by Step Video 👇🏼
How to use the Colonel’s gravy?
This rich silky KFC style brown gravy adds a lot of flavor to your dishes. Here’s some to try:
- Potatoes (mashed, hash brown, home fries, roasted)
- Restaurant Style Steak
- Chicken or Pork Chops (Sous Vide or Grilled)
- Roasted Veggies (zucchini, summer squash, carrots, onions, fennel…)
- Fried Green Tomatoes
- Chicken with Mashed Potatoes and Noodles
- Sous Vide Fried Chicken
Keep gravy refrigerated for up to a week in an airtight container. Freeze it in ice cube trays. When they’re solid, store them in heavy duty zip lock bags in the freezer for 3 – 4 months.
If you don’t have chicken and beef stock handy use chicken or beef bouillon powder, chicken or beef stock cubes, or Better Than Bouillon paste.
Want more KFC copycat recipes? Have fun trying these and let me know what you think!