If you love asparagus here are 2 ways to prepare it that truly highlight its bright earthiness. Braised asparagus and oven roasting it are two of the easiest and most fantastic ways to celebrate this mighty fine stalk.
If you care to roast your asparagus… simply wash them and snap or cut up the woodsy ends. Preheat your oven to 450F. Spread them on a baking sheet, drizzle some olive oil over them.
Give them a quick toss, sprinkle with Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper. Pop them on the top rack of the oven for 10 minutes and plate them up.
Tossing a handful of cherry tomatoes over them before the go into the oven works well too and/or shaking some parmesan over them as they come out from the heat too is also good.
How to make Braised Asparagus
Braising them is quick and easy too. Braising is simply roasting something in the oven with liquid. So, if you have some chicken stock handy this is an excellent way to prepare your asparagus.
- Wash and remove woodsy ends of asparagus spears. Lay them out on a baking sheet in a single layer and toss with olive oil and kosher salt lightly.
- Pour 1/2 cup chicken stock over stalks.
- Top with feta cheese and bake in a preheated oven for 10 minutes at 450F.
This recipe for braised asparagus with tomatoes and feta cheese finds its way to our table about once a week. It’s especially nice if you hit it with a spritz of fresh lemon juice right before serving. You will find it hard to ever think about steaming these stalks again!
But if you braise or roast cherry tomatoes whole… BEWARE!!! They are incredibly HOT right out of the oven and they’ll and blister your mouth in a mighty explosion if you bite into them without letting them cool a bit first.
At least cut into them and let the scalding liquid escape because they are so tasty once they cool off a tad. Yes, I’m speaking from experience. Ouch. A good rule of thumb is to cook them until they burst!
What goes well with braised asparagus?
I love to serve this along side Piri Piri chicken
or an oven finished steak.
Braised Asparagus with Feta and Tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 16 ounces asparagus washed with woodsy ends removed
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 4-8 ounces cherry tomatoes chopped in 1/2 or whole
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Bring chicken stock to a boil over the stove in a sauce pan or in the microwave.
- Spread asparagus on to a baking sheet and pour the hot chicken stock over it.
- Sprinkle feta and tomatoes over asparagus.
- Bake for 10 minutes.