Sometimes we come across a recipe that is so good it takes us completely by surprise. This is exactly what happened with this Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe. Since we usually have a big family dinner on Sundays and I cook most of the other evenings, I always make a big pot of soup for Friday and Saturday. This lets everyone eat when they’re hungry as they come and go over the weekend and I get a bit of a break. Sweeeet!
Wow… I’m trying to think back to when I first started making this Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe. Must have been a good 7 or 8 years ago. But as soon as I made it the first time, it was a HUGE HIT, especially with our youngest daughter, Brianna. Every year since then, she’s asked me to make it for her birthday dinner. So now whenever I make it, I always think of her! That’s why we picked this recipe for our YouTube video above. 🙂
This soups freezes well and it takes next to no time to make. The recipe calls for store bought chicken broth but if you want to make your own Homemade Chicken Broth from a rotisserie bird, it will blow your mind! I think what makes this soup so good is all the fresh lime juice and cilantro. It’s so good!
Happy 21st Birthday, Brianna!!! We love you very much!!!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 chipotle in adobo sauce minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons kasher salt
- 12 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups corn kernels fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 ripe tomato diced
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chicken shredded or diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- lime wedges for garnish
- sour cream for garnish
- white queso crumbled (optional)
- 12 tortilla chips for garnish (optional)
- soup pot
- measuring cups and spoons
- knife and cutting board
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chipotle, chili powder, and salt. Stir until the onion softens about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes. Add the corn, stir, and simmer another 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in the fresh tomato, can of diced tomatoes, chicken, cilantro, and lime juice.
- Garnish with more fresh cilantro, a teaspoon of sour cream, lime wedge, queso, and tortillas (if using).