This Limeade recipe uses only 3 ingredients! Ok, I lied. If you want to count the water, it’s 4 ingredients. (Limes – sugar – Ice – Water)
The key is to only use fresh limes (regular or key limes) never bottled lime juice.
This is a refreshing summer drink. I can’t think of a better way to enjoy the last remaining days of a hot summer.
- 6 regular limes, washed and cut in half
- 5 cups of water, cold
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 cup of sugar
- zest of 1 lime (optional)
- Create a simple syrup with hot water and sugar. Over the stove or in a microwave, heat them together and stir until the sugar has dissolved.
- Place the limes in a blender with the cold water and simple syrup.
- Pulse on high for 20 seconds.
- Strain into a large pitcher filled with ice.
- Stir in the lime zest.
- Serve in tall glasses filled with ice and garnished with a lime wheel.
Note: If you want to use key limes, use 12 since they’re so small.
Limeade Recipe Variations
Sugar-Free Limeade (keto-friendly)
To make a sugar-free limeade, use the same recipe above but replace the sugar with 1/4 cup Truvia or 1 tablespoon monk fruit. It’s much easier to make your limeade sweeter than it is to make it less sweet. After stirring in the sweetener, take a sip, and add more if necessary.
Frozen Limeade Slushie
Then if you want to kick it up a notch, use the recipe above but cut the amount of water in half to make a limeade concentrate. After straining it, blend the concentrate with 4 cups of ice on high for 2 minutes or until it becomes a slushie. Add more ice if needed.
Keeping a homemade concentrate around makes it easy and ready to serve at a moment’s notice!
Create a fun adult beverage by adding a shot of tequila and Grand Marnier into your slushie!
This creates the perfect foundation for a limeade frozen margarita or you can pour it over ice for a refreshing limeade margarita on the rocks. This cocktail is so refreshing. Don’t wait for cinco de mayo to enjoy it!
- Create a salt rim (optional) by sweeping a juicy lime wedge around the edge of the glass. Then turn the glass upside down into a shallow dish filled with coarse salt. Fill with ice.
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and pour 1-ounce tequila, 1-ounce Grand Marnier (or other orange liqueur), and 2/3 cup limeade (recipe above) into it. Shake vigorously.
- Pour the content of the shaker over the glass of ice.
- Garnish with a lime wedge or lime wheel.
Not too long ago, I posted the best margarita recipe I’ve ever tasted. It’s an easy margarita to make and we call it a Glorita after my girlfriend, Gloria, who created it as her signature cocktail. It’s like drinking summer sunshine!
You can use these same techniques to make a lemonade that’s just as refreshing and tasty!
Other citrusy recipes
Crazy about lemon and lime flavors? Try some of these recipes! 👇🏼
Chicken piccata is a quick chicken dish made in a lemon caper sauce. Super easy and really tasty!
One Pan Lemon Chicken Dinner
Use thinly sliced (or pounded) chicken to create a quick dinner in less than 45 minutes with spinach and roasted potatoes. Bake the lemon on the same pan, then squeeze it over everything for a bright pop of lemon flavor. The roasted garlic sauce takes longer and is totally optional.
Meyer Lemon Sauce
This is a unique way to use Meyer lemons. It’s best served over steamed or roasted vegetables like broccoli, asparagus, or potatoes.
Leave a Reply