A Tequila Sunrise cocktail is colorful, fruity and refreshing! Traditionally it’s made with tequila, but you can always switch that out for vodka or make it without any spirits at all. Because what’s truly beautiful about it is the separation of the orange juice and the cherry syrup.
How to make a Classic Tequila Sunrise Cocktail
- Pour 2 ounces tequila and 4 ounces orange juice into shaker with ice.
- Shake vigorously and strain into a cocktail glass.
- Pour 1 ounce grenadine or maraschino cherry juice into cocktail.
- Garnish with an orange wheel and/or cherry.
Tequila Sunrise Variations
- Add a squeeze of lemon and lime juice – the tart acidity balances the sweetness of the orange juice, rounding out the drink a little better
- Kick it up a notch – add an extra zing with a splash of grand marnier, or sub out the grenadine for a bit of creme de cassis at the end.
- Substitute vodka for the tequila – vodka is very neutral and allows the fruity flavors to shine.
- Don’t add any spirits at all! Now it’s a gorgeous mocktail the whole family can enjoy.
- Martini glass – a tequila sunrise is typically served in a highball glass or a collins glass filled with ice, but why not enjoy it served up in a martini glass or without spirits in a juice glass.
What Makes this Cocktail so Beautiful?
When you slowly pour the grenadine into the glass (or cherry syrup) is what makes this cocktail unique and special. The dark red syrup is heavier than the orange juice and settles at the bottom giving the drink a “sunrise” effect. It stays like this the whole time until the drink is stirred.
If you can keep from stirring it, the cocktail transforms as you drink it becoming sweeter and more cherry-ish. This is such a fun and festive mocktail/cocktail no matter how you serve it.
Other Libations You Might Enjoy!
- Sinatra Smash
- Bees Knees
- Blood and Sand
- Grapefruit Spritzer (a free spirit!)
Tequila Sunrise Cocktail
Colorful, fruity and refreshing! This cocktail is a delight with or without the spirit.
- 2 ounces tequila
- 4 ounces orange juice
- 1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce grenadine or cherry syrup
Put ice tequila, lime, lemon, and orange juice into shaker and shake.
Strain into cocktail glass.
Pour grenadine or cherry syrup into cocktail.
Garnish with optional cherry and/or orange wheel.
I don’t drink so will definitely be trying the mocktail version!
This sounds so good. Might try this instead of tradition Mimosa for holiday breakfasts!