When I was a single mom, I practically lived on this fresh salad with chicken and goat cheese. This is a great use for left over rotisserie chicken, baked chicken, or “Hey, look! I found a can of chicken in the back of the pantry and it’s not expired! Cool!” The salad is tossed with fresh crunchy romaine lettuce, spiked with creamy goat cheese, toasted pine nuts, sweet cranberries, and hearty pesto chicken breast. Super easy… super tasty!
It hits all the right spots. If you want to make it completely ketogenic (high fat/low carb), omit the cranberries and use chicken thighs.
Look for Annie’s Organic Goddess dressing and use that (and no, I’m not getting paid for promoting it.) If you can’t find it, here’s a tasty ranch dressing from the Firefly Grill in Effingham, IL. Annie’s has more of an Asian flare with a hint of tahini and toasted sesame, where the Firefly’s ranch is fresh and herb-a-vicious. But Annie’s is such a home run with this combo though, use it if you can. It makes a huge difference.
Both dressings are bold and zippy enough to give a good balance to the tart goat cheese while rounding out the sweetness of the cranberries. This is a wonderful salad for any time of year, but if especially now at the end of summer if you want to keep your cool and don’t want to fire up the kitchen on some of these hot muggy days. I hope you like it!
Goddess Salad Recipe
Goddess Salad with Pesto Chicken and Goat Cheese Recipe- Bright, fresh, tangy, sweet & savory. Super Yum! | www.lakesidetable.com
- 2 rotisserie chicken
- 4 cups romaine lettuce
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 6 ounces plain or herb goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons Goddess dressing
- Chop. Toss. Dress. Eat.
- It’s that simple. Really. But if you want me to break it down, here you go.
- Wash your lettuce. Put it in a bowl. Toss the lettuce with the dressing. If you are feeling adventuresome, use your hands and gently rub the dressing over each piece of the the lettuce.
- Next, chop up your left over rotisserie chicken and mix it with 3 tablespoons (or enough to lightly coat the chicken) of pesto. Put that on the lettuce. Add the cranberries, & goat cheese.
- Toast pine nuts in a dry pan over medium heat. 2-4 minutes. Watch carefully. They go from brown to burnt in a nano second!
- Top salad with toasted pine nuts and enjoy.
An alternative to making a salad is to make a lettuce wrap by taking a large broad leaf of romain and spread it out. Mix the pesto chicken, cranberries, pine nuts, and goat cheese with the salad dressing. Spoon this mixture over the romain. Roll it up, wrap it up in a paper towel, and eat it on the go. Super fast, super yummy!